I love to teach! It’s my passion in life. And, teaching piano? The best teaching gig I’ve ever had. This site is all about the best teaching resources I’ve found & created that make my life, and yours as well, just a little bit easier & fun.
I earned my Bachelor of Education in Secondary Education from University of Alberta. While working on my degree, I opted to specialize in Special Needs Education. After over a decade of experience as a teacher & administrator in private schools in both Mexico & Canada, I've taught just about every grade (1-12), plus almost every subject possible at the junior high level. What I learnt was that it didn't matter which grade or subject I taught, what mattered were the SKILLS I taught my students. Sure it can require trial & error to finding what works for each student, but the end result should be a student who enjoys learning & is independent.
When I'm not teaching, playing piano & researching, I can be found spending time with my family. Movie afternoons (Star Wars anyone?), playing video games (ah, Fortnite how you have taken over our lives), & many, many .. many discussions related to comic books, video games & superheroes are some of our favourite things. It's not always easy living with 3 guys, but our very talkative twins make life interesting for me &, my not-nearly-as-talkative, husband. (He's learnt to be an amazing listener.) And when this mommy needs “me" time? Reading copious numbers of novels, going to yoga, & making vegan food are some of MY favourite things.
Things You May Not Know About Me:
- At one point, I was taking Argentinian Tango & Hip Hop classes at the same time. LOVED tango & enjoyed every class! The hip hop classes … well, I’m more suited to listening to hip hop. It really wasn’t pretty. But, I can often be found dancing, or at least shimmying, to whatever song I’m listening to.
- I really enjoy making homemade preserves. This leads to peach bellini jam, spiced blueberry spreads & as many great combos as I can find. Trying to eat it all isn’t possible though, so the jars often become gifts which my clients really enjoy.
- My favourite drink is tea. And, because I enjoy variety there is a whole shelf at home. 30 different types is in no way too many, regardless of what my husband tells me. (Thank goodness he supports this addiction.) Walking into a David’s Tea store? Mmmmm. It’s fast become one of my happy places.
- I am a voracious reader. I typically read a novel every 2-3 days. It is a rare thing for me to leave the house without a book. While I’ve tried reading e-books, I’m definitely old-school & prefer a physical copy. Oh, and putting me in a library … another of my happy places!
- I get really excited about new ideas, especially in education! Things have changed in the past decade, so it is fun to research new trends & include the ones that benefit my students. Plus, it’s impossible to get bored with so many different activities & options out there.
I hope that my journey inspires you in your teaching! When we, as teachers, stop learning & exploring new ideas, we become stagnant. Going through the motions doesn’t help our career enjoyment & certainly doesn’t help us guide the next generation of musicians. So, let’s explore together!